keeping khaki campbells with muscovies or other breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Misskpw, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Misskpw

Misskpw New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    Hello!! I have two khaki campbell drakes who seem pretty aggressive towards each other (always pulling at each other's feathers & one chasing the other around ... year round!). I am thinking that if I get 3 or 4 female ducks for them, things might be better. Someone in my town is selling female muscovies ... any experience out there with those two breeds together? Or know of a combo that I should definitely avoid?

I'm looking for friendly ducks that my young children can interact with, for them to free range in our yard & garden, & smart enough to hide from foxes! Our current drakes seem to keep themselves under cover pretty well & we know there are foxes in our neighborhood. I haven't kept them safely locked up because I imagine their fighting would get all the more worse if they were bored. I'd like to keep them free-ranging.

Thanks!!!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If you plan to keep both drakes get at least 4 scovies. The one thing to remember is that if you get muscovies, then any offspring from these pairings will be sterile.

3. Misskpw

Misskpw New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you! I plan to get 4-6 females. I am just worried that me aggressive campbells (they seem aggressive to me) will be too much for the scovies ... I have read they are slow on the ground.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your going to be setting your ducks up for a nice fox dinner eventually. Please lock them all up to prevent that from happening.

5. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy ducks are strong and sturdy and good fighters on top of that so they should have no problem to hold up against the khaki drakes.
    I would advise against this pairing, though.
    I am keeping runners with muscovies and they get along but don't express much interest for another. The drakes may attempt to rape the muscovies, the muscovies might endure it and even comply since mating among them is rough anyway, but they are definetely not each other's preferred company.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by