Keeping litter in henhouse while chickens go in and out?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggspletive!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Okay, I'm going to have a lot of questions over the next few days as we near the finish line on our coop, hope you can bear with me.

If I am using the deep litter method in my raised henhouse, won't the chickens kick a lot of it out into the run as they are going in and out of their little door? Would there be any problem with putting their door up higher in the wall, so they have to hop down to the floor? That way the litter would stay in, right?

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Thats what I did, they have no problems going in and out. I also put a 2x4 in front of the door to keep the litter in.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I put the pop door a few inches up to keep litter in. If they seem to have trouble I'll put a short ramp up or a low block to create a step.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I bolted a 1 x 4 at the bottom inside of the chicken entry to hold the litter. When I replace the litter, I just remove the 1 x 4 and rake the old litter out into a wheelbarrow. The used litter then goes to my compost pile. (If your litter is deeper than mine, use a 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 , as may be appropriate.)

I put in new litter and replace the 1 x 4. Works good for me.
    [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme-[​IMG]

5. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I have a piece of 1 x 6 nailed to the inside of my door for that reason. The chickens hop up on it and over it without any problems.[​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    eggspletive! :

Okay, I'm going to have a lot of questions over the next few days as we near the finish line on our coop, hope you can bear with me.

If I am using the deep litter method in my raised henhouse, won't the chickens kick a lot of it out into the run as they are going in and out of their little door? Would there be any problem with putting their door up higher in the wall, so they have to hop down to the floor? That way the litter would stay in, right?

If you haven't done it yet, cut the pophole so its bottom is like 6-18" above the floor of the coop. That way, even with a buncha bedding in there, it won't get kicked out the hole, nor will it block the door from closing.

If you've already cut the pophole and done it flush with the floor or too low, I would suggest extending it higher and screwing in a 6-18" high sill to "convert" it into a higher pophole [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

7. scogind

scogind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    I read a story about this concerning human history. All the homes had dirt floors at one time, but for better insulation people starting using the thresh left over from the harvest to put on the floors. They had the same problem you are describing. Being creative one family used an old board across the bottom of their door to keep the thresh in. Viola, the threshold was invented!

8. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Yes raise your pop hole so it stays in. of course you could be creative and use the same stuff in the coop as you do in the run... SAND!! I love it.

Connie

9. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

lol yes as said above, the birdies are agile things. They will make it thru the popdoor [​IMG]

Mine is about 10 inches off the floor, and the little buggers still manage to kick a few shavings out [​IMG] I think its part of being a chicken lol

But you shouldnt have a ton or anything out... just a little bit. Thresholds are good [​IMG]

10. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    My chicken house floor is poured concrete and has a six inch or so high threshold. To be frank, the chickens have tracked out less litter than I have.

RSD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by