KEEPING MALE SILKIES TOGETHER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hayley3, Apr 20, 2008.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Hi,
    I am trying to decide what to do. Right now I am playing musical chairs with my silkies. I had one rooster and tried to get him a girlfriend by buying eggs and wound up with 2 more males instead of girls.

Whoa, this posted before I was ready.

Anyway, I thought that they would fight to see who was the alpha male and life would go on. They just keep on fighting and they are white silkies and they are all bloody. The other male will also help the younger one so they are ganging up on my older male. Will I have to keep them apart forever. If I give the other dominant male some chickens would that help? I have some Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks right now that I thought I could eventually place with him. I cannot find Silkie females so I have given up on that. He really cannot even mate with them because the silkies are bantams.

I also have 3 male guineas so I have to keep them away from my chickens or they pick on the girls. So I am constantly keeping everybody apart.

Any ideas appreciated!
    Susie

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Does everyone keep their males separated?

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The thing about keeping them apart for long periods at a time is the fact that when and if you try to put them back together they will fight worse... and a lot.

Just leave them in with eachother and of course, all roosters fight when first introduced, they have to set the pecking order.

I have some roos together and some separated. The separated ones are the mean ones, except one, and the means ones are the least deserving of being with the hens in my opinion.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i have four assorted roosters and two are silkies. apart from the occasional cockfight they are OK.

5. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks to both of you.
    I was wondering if I sat outside with them, now that it's warmer, and everytime they start fighting if I spray water on them, if that might deter them. I just hate to see them all bloody. The last time they had been fighting so long they could barely stand and were just hanging onto each other.
    I might give it a try. It's suppose to be warm Monday and Tuesday.
    Thanks!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Susie, seeing blood is not a good thing. To me, it would mean time to separate them. It sounds like they will kill eachother.
    I sadly had to rehome some of my roos because they didn't get along. Now I think I have a balance, but if it should change, I will have to rehome another one.
    I would not leave any together after seeing blood.

7. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:My silkie roos never had an issue with each other. I agree with Seminole. Once
    they draw blood it's a problem. Once the other birds smell blood the may gang
    up on the poor silkie.

I'd get rid of the more aggressive one. Seminole will take it from you.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I would agree with rehoming one or both of the fighters. I have 3 silkie roos together and while one is the clear leader the other two just accept it. They have been together since last fall and were half grown when I brought them home.
    Silkies are pretty layed back birds. I'm suprised to hear that they are fighting as hard as they are. You clearly have two alphas.
    I think that by spraying them with water you are just going to delay the fight. They are establishing pecking order, and that needs to be done. Unfortunately, you have two and neither are willing to back down.
    I would seperate them right away. Sorry it isn't working out the way you would like it. [​IMG]

9. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    When they got together, they had actually been separated by a fence. The younger, more aggressive male went after the older alpha male and went thru the fence. The alpha male does not start the fights. The reason I wanted to get some more silkies is my alpha rooster is sooo laid back. He's such a sweetie.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I was getting really tired of keeping them apart and was hoping there was a different way. Darn....

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am rehoming one of my roos tomorrow because he keeps picking on my special needs chicken BoBo the cornish x. You dont want them to fight til they kill eachother. Trade him for something new thats what I'm doin. I'm gettin sizzle and polish eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by