Keeping mixed age chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmhand, Jan 31, 2013.

1. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I keep 3 to 5 Buff Orpington chicks in the same brooder with other breeds of chicks that will be 3 to 4 week younger? The Buffs will be older.
    Thanks

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    yep! but if you do see them 'attacking each other' then just split them apart again. i have mixed baby chicks with 2 week old chicks and the babies just saw them as mother figures! :)

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    It should be fine! They should be at a young enough age that they won't fight. If you do notice them fighting, try putting them in two seperate areas that they can see each other, but can't get to each other. You will only have to do that for a few days.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The flock bonding of brooder mates is far more intense than perhaps we comprehend. I've seen brooder mates maintain that bond through adulthood. It just doesn't always work to try to brood chicks of that difference in age. We no longer try. Small brooder, large brooder, grow out pen, separate barns pens, etc, give us options and flexibility. Dealing with fussing and pecking issues just isn't worth it. Everybody has to find what's best for their own birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by