Keeping more than 1 roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnsons-r-us, Oct 28, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I'm not there yet, but will be this summer. if I wanted to keep more than 1 adult roo, and somewhat conrol breeding, could the bachelors be housed together or would they fight. I'm thinking they would fight but I've been surpirsed by answers here before. I need some options for keeping two roos. Not going to cage them. I could alternate who free ranges together and who is in the coop?

If I didn't care about the breeding so much could two live peacefully with a flock of less than twenty total birds? Does free ranging help them get along, as they would all free range.

And, if I had a flock of just the girls, wanted to add an adult roo, are they easier to integrate than new chicks to a flock?

And this coming from someone who had no intention of keeping roos in the first place! [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'm not sure about keeping the roos penned up together.

I have four roosters who free range with the entire flock (16 hens).

I do not have any issues.

If you want to control breeding, you might want to pen up the hen(s) and introduce the roo.

[​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I am working on building a separate rooster area for all my guys. I have seen people do that with good success.

4. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I have 2 roo's in with my 11 ladies, with no problems right now. They share a 8x6 coop and a 15 x9 run. They are only 16 weeks, so I am wondering if there will be issues once the girls are laying.

5. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:That's great! How old are the roos?

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    The wildlife center has new hampshire reds, and there is about twenty hens, and five roosters. They free range, and they do not have a problem....when you say pen the roosters together, do you mean pen them with the hens, or just the roosters by themselves?

7. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:How many? And how old? Do you mean the get along as long as there are no hens around? That's kind of what I was wondering about.

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I love my roos!

If roosters are raised together there is a good chance that they can get along in a flock. My roosters who were hatched with 8 hens got along fine in the same coop with the hens, but we soon realized that there were too many roosters for the hens. We built a bachelor rooster coop for 4 of the roos. They free range at a different times than the hens and their lucky rooster and do fine in their run even when there is a hen just on the other side of the wire. One of the bachelor roos now fights through the wire with the rooster who got to stay with the hens.

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:How many? And how old? Do you mean the get along as long as there are no hens around? That's kind of what I was wondering about.

That is what I have heard and since I have many roos of different ages I will try it myself. But then again, all my roos are getting along already with hens around, I am doing this merely to give my hens a break. They seem to form buddy groups and hang out together like at the bar or a ball game [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by