Keeping more than one breed together

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Amanda G, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Amanda G

Amanda G New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I have seen people with multiple types of chickens have them all together but is that really a good idea? I have Brahma chicks coming but I thought about getting other types also would it be best for them to keep separate?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think that unless one is talking about mixing silkies with other breeds, then its usually fine (and many peeps keep silkies as part of a mixed flock, I should add). I think that management style and space are issues that should be considered more important. The smaller the coop / run then the more likely the potential for bullying / antagonism (but thats not necessarily breed dependent either).

I have a bantam that is 2nd in the pecking order of 15 birds.

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I've had 6 different breeds together w no issues, but, they are all the same general size....no 2 alike and I don't think they even realize they are different.
    People do keep bantams w large breeds I haven't tried yet but hope to....the above post is excellent advice.

[​IMG]

4. Amanda G

Amanda G New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I'm glad fighting wouldn't be a issue! How about mix breeding?

5. Amanda G

Amanda G New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Sorry CTken I just seen your post. Thank you I just didn't know if fighting and mix breeding would be a problem. How many roosters can be together?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Having more than one cock bird can be problematic in terms of fighting. The question is - why have multiple cock birds? What is your end game? If you want to breed chickens, then go ahead and choose a cock bird that has the qualities you are looking for - either in terms of breed or a good laying breed / heavy breed for meat or a good dual purpose breed. You need only set eggs from those laid by specific hens that would similarly meet your breeding goals. Personally, I would not keep more than one cock bird, at least until you have some experience under your belt. Any cock bird, if not managed correctly, can be a real PITA. Your flock will be very happy without one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by