Keeping muscovies + Mallards?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Feb 21, 2012.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I have a chance to get some beautiful scovie ducklings from a local breeder this spring. They will be straight run. I'll probably only get 2-4.

My flock is currently three Mallards (two drakes, one hen) and two Welshie hens.

I'm aware that there will be a massive difference between the scovies and the Mallards. I guess I'm just wondering if they will all get along well if introduced while the scovies are still young? Does anyone here have a mixed flock of scovies and smaller breeds?

I mean, my Mallards are 3 lbs soaking wet, and when I read a Muscovy drake can weigh 15 pounds... well, it blows my mind!

Thanks for any insight!

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio

if the muscovys breed with the rouens the resulting offspring will be infertile.
    or so i have heard

3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Don't have any Rouens. And don't plan to let them breed. My ducks are just pets.

4. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    sorry my bad.
    i thought it said rouens.

5. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Muscovie males as they get older could become a bit aggressive towards the other ducks. While mallards are much smaller the muscovies males could also see them as not a threat and ignore them.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I think you will be fine. I've never had a problem with birds of different breeds/sizes.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    While it can work for many people it did NOT work with me. My Muscovy decided to start breeding my hen. She did not want to be breed at all. Obviously, since he was about 5x's her size she didn't at all. After witnessing that I rehomed my Muscovy the next day. Also if they are left unsupervised with a pool I believe he could drown her. If he has plenty of other hens it won't be a likely but it always a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by