Keeping my dogs away from my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jennasaur7, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Jennasaur7

Jennasaur7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    My chicken coop is connected to my garage and has a large run out behind it. It is all fenced off but I have two large dogs, hunting dogs in fact, that can easily jump the fence. We live out in the country so we always have hawks flying around and sitting in one of our dead trees. So, I just want to know how to keep them safe so I can let them go outside more often with out me constantly monitoring them. Thank you.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Train the dogs, put up a better fence if you're worried about them jumping over it, make sure your chickens have plenty of cover and hiding places if you're worried about the hawks, and put a cover of some sort on your run. Hunting dogs can be trained to leave your chickens alone. My last dog was a black lab - great pheasant dog. Never once had a problem with him bothering my chickens. He was easily trained to know that they were mine and not for him to play with.

3. Jennasaur7

Jun 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for replying!! I have a Black Lab too, but we use him for duck hunting. They will go after anything and everything as long as it moves. And they have gone for my chickens before, but my Rooster protected his family by charging back. Obviously Jack (my rooster) won. But it worries me that he might not be able to everytime. How did you train your dog to leave them alone? And in the run we have pretty tall grass and 6 tall apple trees.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My dog was trained as a pup. We got him at 8 weeks old, and the first thing we did was introduce him to the chickens. I didn't trust him with the little chicks for a couple of years, but he never did bother the adult birds. We were spoiled by him, though. He was a good, smart, easygoing dog anyway. Eager to please. It takes more time, patience and consistency to train adult dogs, but it can be done. There are many threads here with tips and suggestions.

5. Jennasaur7

Jun 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much!!! My lab is 2 and full of energy, I'm more worried about him than the other one. Thank you for your help!!!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have two German Pointers that will match any dog when comes to energy. They chase and kill small birds, all sorts of mammals, plus run off raptors yet have been trained to leave chickens and now darn ducks alone. Your dogs can be trained. For short-term issues consider electrified poultry netting.

Anyone want a darn duck?

7. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl

Agreed your dogs can be trained to except the chickens one of my dogs used to want to kill my chickens till I trained him now my birds free range and I have my dogs to protect them from preditors too.

8. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    My dog training was non specific. Every time we took the dogs out when chooks were free ranging, dog was on a leash. Every time he lunged, he was corrected. Months later, he can be out without bothering them. I don't think I would go so far as to leave him with them 24/7 though.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've never heard of a "darn" duck... Is this a new breed? [​IMG]

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In this instance Ancona. Bird has no respect for my efforts to keep chickens in clean fresh water. Also hard on gamehens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by