Keeping my hand out of the incubator

syndie

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2015
OCPA 16301
I need talked down please! I am on day 4 of set eggs and I’m dying to get in and candle! I’m trying to make it to day 7 without disturbing the incubator, like its extremely dialed in 99.7 per 3 thermostats, humidity at 25% per 2 hydrometers. The only prob being is they are shipped pullet eggs, which meant 3 did not make it so when cracking those open I could not find fertility, so I cracked a fourth and did see a fertile egg, so I’m not sure if those cracked in shipment can loose the fertile spot or I’m dealing with infertile eggs here, hence my itchy fingers! Please give me your best opinions and keep me sane!

I need talked down please! I am on day 4 of set eggs and I’m dying to get in and candle! I’m trying to make it to day 7 without disturbing the incubator, like its extremely dialed in 99.7 per 3 thermostats, humidity at 25% per 2 hydrometers. The only prob being is they are shipped pullet eggs, which meant 3 did not make it so when cracking those open I could not find fertility, so I cracked a fourth and did see a fertile egg, so I’m not sure if those cracked in shipment can loose the fertile spot or I’m dealing with infertile eggs here, hence my itchy fingers! Please give me your best opinions and keep me sane!
Hey, first your humidity is low, it should be at 45-55% i candle my eggs everyday, and I have had excellent hatches, your fine.

Best Wishes.

I always wait until lockdown, I don't like disturbing them or having the lid off that long unnecessarily. If you just want to verify that they're actually developing, I'd say wait until day 10 and it should be quite obvious.
You must have nerves of steel waiting that long! Thanks for the advice!

However exciting it may be, you should wait to candle until days 7 - 10. If you candled now, you'd probably just worry about them and be itching to candle again! You'll also be a lot more amazed at what you see if you wait the extra few days :jumpy

Regarding humidity, your bator needs to be at 45 - 55% during incubation (no higher, no lower), then it needs to be raised to 65%+ at lockdown (Day 18).

Back
Top Bottom