Keeping my hens in their coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmyhens, Sep 14, 2010.

1. luvmyhens

luvmyhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    La Mirada, California
    My 3 hens are very noisy and anxious when they are in their run with a coop. It is about 4X8 Run and a coop on top that they can go into to lay eggs. I live in a city where I am not zoned for them, however my daughter is in 4h and we called the city hall and told them she is raising them for her 4h project and they ok'd it. I am afraid the neighbors might complain because they are very noisy in their coop they got used to free ranging in the yard. I don't really feel comfortable leaving them out when I am away but leaving them in the coop is probably very annoying to my neighbors.[​IMG] What can I put in the coop/run to keep them busy and happy and QUIET.

Thank you:he

2. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I hang things full of fresh greens. You can use suet containers filled with cabbage or fruits. Hide things in their run for them to find. It's all about enrichment - and they will get used to the run, it just takes time.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I read some advice on here from someone that my chickens just love! Digging up a huge clod of dirt with some grass or weeds growing out of it and letting them tear it apart. Also shovelfuls of compost are fun for them. [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree, I use the suet cages to put the stale bread, kale, pumpkin, squash, tomatoes--anything they love. I sprinkle birdseed on the ground and cover w/ leaves or rake dirt over it...I cut grass and rake it up and throw it into my coop..

But remember some chickens are just loud and as they age they get even louder.. There is no real way to keep them completely quiet!!

5. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are as loud in the coop as they are out of the coop. Most of them are pleasant, I have a few that just SQUACK for hours in the morning as part of their egg song. Treats help. Give your neighbors eggs, that will also help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by