Keeping my water from freezing.

Drew Koleno

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
Does anyone know how to maintain your water from freezing. I have a 5 gallon and a gallon tank for my chickens and ducks. I've tried many things but nothing seems to work. I even have two heat lamps running and it still tends to freeze. If anyone could lend me some information that would be great!

Does anyone know how to maintain your water from freezing. I have a 5 gallon and a gallon tank for my chickens and ducks. I've tried many things but nothing seems to work. I even have two heat lamps running and it still tends to freeze. If anyone could lend me some information that would be great!
Welcome to BYC! @ChickenCanoe , @sourland , @aart , @Folly's place , do any of you have advice?

Hi,
Since you have electricity available, I highly suggest buying a heated waterer. Yes, you can make your own, but if you only need one or two it may be better just to "buy versus build". Personally, I use the 3 gallon Farm Innovator model HPF-100, and L-O-V-E it. There are other manufacturers but I have not used them so I can't comment.

Kind of old and backwards here. In extreme cold, I have always watered multiple times daily. Those black rubber water bowls are easy to knock the ice out of. Being retired made this practice even more practiceable. (I made up that word.) Heated bowls or DwayneNLiz's advice would work if you have electricity in your coop.

Back
Top Bottom