keeping new chicks in crate in coup

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rocketdoctor, May 2, 2011.

1. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I have 2 6 week old Americanas that I hatched. I have placed them in a large dog crate within my chicken run (no room in coop for crate). I have placed a75 watt light that goes on in the evening to give them a little warmth. they have plenty of food and water. They are in the shady part of the run. Is this ok for a couple more weeks. I am planning on partitioning off a 6 foot area of the run and build a small box for them to go into in the evening, but I won't have time to do this for another 2 weeks. I thought it would be better for them in the run so they get a bit of fresh air then being kept in the garage.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Your setup sounds very similar to the one I used for my chickens at one point. It all depends on how cold it is there, and how your chicks are reacting to it. If they're excited, bouncing around, eating, drinking, etc, I wouldn't worry about them too much. If they're huddled together all the time, dozing off, etc, I might give them another week to feather out before putting them outside.

Best of luck [​IMG]

3. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Quote:they seem to be doing fine. I went out in the middle of the night and they were chirping and walking around not even under the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by