Keeping our Flock "Home"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barnchickens, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Barnchickens

Barnchickens New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    We are new to this whole free-range thing... We own five acres, and are surrounded by seventy acres of my father's farm. Our property, however, is road front. It is a rural road, but we have neighbors just across the road. They do not raise any animals. Our coop is behind our house, and our hens have plenty of places to roam. Unfortunately, we got a phone call today from our neighbor complaining about our hens digging up his flower bulbs. We have a great relationship with these neighbors, and don't wish to stir up any problems. We really don't want to fence our 12 layers. Any advice on how to keep them "home"? :/

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Will like to see the outcome of this post, I have tried so manhy things and nothing works, fencing seems the only way out

3. Barnchickens

Barnchickens New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    Have you tried letting your hens out of the coop later in the day, so they have less time to wander? We were considering that...

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The only way to keep them home is to let them out late in the day so they can't go so far before nightfall, or a fence.

Chickens are VERY destructive to gardens, and I don't blame your neighbor for being upset. A fence is probably the best way to go. The chickens will be fine, and safer behind a fence, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by