Keeping Out Predators!

Carwile Chicks

Songster
Dec 16, 2020
Mornin'!
After choosing a coop for the number of chickens I decide to have (5), I will place it in a pen area (10 x 10) with a secured roof. Please offer ideas on how to keep predators from getting in. Thanks!

I live in South Carolina

Welcome to byc!

Good ideas.
I have questions. How big is coop? After you put it IN pen how much pen space will there be?
What kind of 10x10 enclosure? Chain link, hardware cloth, chicken wire (no).
Is there a possibility of coop outside run, securely attached?
Does pen have a floor? Wire, wooden?
If not you will need an apron (hardware cloth buried around entire pen, to prevent predators from digging under.
Please put some pictures of your setup and what you are attempting. Many knowledgeable people willing to help.
Read the forums, especially on coops, runs

Hardware cloth is a better choice than chicken wire.
Chicken wire does what it says, just keeps chickens in but it doesn't keep predators out.
Should cloth be placed on the sides on the bottom of the pen? if the application is the bottom, how do you rake the area clean?

Welcome to byc!

Good ideas.
I have questions. How big is coop? After you put it IN pen how much pen space will there be?
What kind of 10x10 enclosure? Chain link, hardware cloth, chicken wire (no).
Is there a possibility of coop outside run, securely attached?
Does pen have a floor? Wire, wooden?
If not you will need an apron (hardware cloth buried around entire pen, to prevent predators from digging under.
Please put some pictures of your setup and what you are attempting. Many knowledgeable people willing to help.
Read the forums, especially on coops, runs
Thx for the great questions. I will take pics and post once I have everything.

Did I miss something in op post? I didn't see a mention of chicken wire?
There was no original question about chicken wire, just the mention that OP chose a coop and asked how to keep predators out. Hardware cloth is something that helps keep predators out compared to chicken wire. And adding an apron helps with keeping predators out.

Back
Top Bottom