Keeping pairs of geese.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Cordell, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Cordell

Cordell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am trying to figure out what breed of goslings to order. If I got a pair of Embden and a pair of Buff geese would the ganders fight? I have 2 acres and was planning on sectioning off a horse stall in the barn for their night quarters. I am looking for pets who will also do some sentry duty. Thanks so much for your help!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry i am not sure.. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can help..

3. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a Embden pair and the gander fights us, but I do not know if the Embden gander and the buff gander will fight?

Hope this helps!

Noah

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sorry there is no good answer to your question about fighting ganders or even geese. They are individuals like humans in the amount that they will fight. usually there is a small fight in a small flock th decide who is going to be the boss and they will stick to that boss until someone else beats him//her.

5. Cordell

Cordell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I think I will stick with a single pair. I would hate for them to fight.

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I own Sebs and minis,and my ganders in breeding season fight, although usually one backs down, and no blood is drawn. I would NEVER pen two dif breeding pairs together, but if they have enough room to range outside they seem to respect, or avoid each other. I feel like a referee from late winter until spring! I can yell at my geese when they squabble, and I break up fights with just my voice. On rare occasions I have to show up physically and use body language. They always seem to pay enough attention to me and quit. [​IMG] PS-the females sometime start the whole hullabaloo amongst the flock! "Hey-did you see what SHE did! If you were a MAN you'd go over there RIGHT NOW and tell them off!-[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by