1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping pekin as pets and pest control for the garden?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeslieMiikal, Jun 17, 2017.

1. LeslieMiikal

LeslieMiikal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2013
    I was hoping to get a couple of pekin ducks this year but will wait until next year as we're in deep with renos and such. However, for the future, are these guys good for sending into the veggie garden for controlling slugs and other bugs? If not it's no big deal, I'd love to have some ducks as pets :). Also, when building a duck house, what is needed for a northern climate? I know chickens are generally winter hardy in a nice coop, but what about ducks? Do they need more then an insulated house? Thanks for responses :)

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks like young sprouts so don't let them in the garden till the plants are bigger, after that they'll eat your bugs. I have some Pekins and I really don't like them. They're really loud, and big. I'm planning on getting a smaller quieter breed, so keep that kind of thing in mind.

Ducks do better in winter than chickens. Mine don't even use their shelter, they really just need a wind barrier, of course having a coop is still good.

LeslieMiikal likes this.
  3. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    best ducks for pets are call ducks! males, not female as females are VERY loud :)

LeslieMiikal likes this.
  4. LeslieMiikal

Dec 5, 2013
    Thanks! I always thoughtpekin but I think that's because they're the only ducks I've ever seen as pets here lol. Though my friends did raise pekin for meat. I don't really mind vocal ducks as when we moved here the place came with guineas and those are sooooo vocal lol. Are there any good ducks for eggs? I had a duck egg once and it was delicious, probably pekin I'm guessing because it was at the friends house who has had ducks in the past.

5. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    khaki campbels are BEST for eggs!

LeslieMiikal likes this.
  6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    pekin are for pets, meat and eggs....but not the best pets and not the "best" for eggs....meat I'm sure! :lol:

LeslieMiikal likes this.
  7. LeslieMiikal

Dec 5, 2013
    Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it! How far away should I be keeping my ducks from my chickens? And how many ducks should you keep, 2 minimum? I don't want the ducks to be alone but also don't want to be flooded with them either lol

8. LeslieMiikal

Dec 5, 2013
    Would the call ducks still lay eggs seasonally? Just curious really, if they're best as pets then I'd probably get them because I don't want my kids to be scared of hissing fowl lol. My great aunt had an enormous white goose and it was vicious haha.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  9. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    i would have 3 females to one male but you don't need a male to make them lay eggs.....
    as long as if you have a male, that he have a few females i.e. 4 to one male....they will be fine with chickens as long as the male has females!
    calls are VERY bad layers...;)

LeslieMiikal likes this.
  10. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    cud you possibly get a gosling? as young as a day old? they are THE best guard pets and are better than a dog if handled well.....i understand if that isn't a possibility....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by