Keeping pests out of food

medinam

Chirping
Apr 14, 2018
hi!
I have a PVC automatic feeder in my chicken coop. It is currently designed in a way that the food is poured into the PVC from the outside (and covered with a cap) and dispenses thru the PVC into the coop where it is left open. I’m worried that mice and maybe even rats (?!?!) will get into the coop and into the food. I have been reading best practice is to take food out of the coop/run at night to mitigate or prevent pest issues. I can’t take the food out of the PVC everyday.... Any suggestions on how to cover the open portion of the PVC to cover the food up to keep pests out?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 21F995F5-9270-4384-95AD-749E6B40C88E.jpeg
    21F995F5-9270-4384-95AD-749E6B40C88E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
There are 2 ways you can solve this.
Cut a piece of pvc pipe the length of opening, and then cut into half lengthwise. Use it as a cover. I know that it does not fit all that great over same size pipe. You can make it slightly larger diameter by strapping it to a same size pipe and heating it with a electric heat gun. The cap will become softer and will conform over the pipe it is strapped to. You should end up with a cap that fits correctly over the pipe and opening that you are trying to cover.
Have it held in place over opening when you are securing feed with some rubber straps.
Second option is to modify your feeder to something like below.
01-06-2015-diy-chicken-feeder-home-design-15.jpg

You can then make a short capped plug that you can insert into opening. That would keep all creatures from getting into or at your feed.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

The other way is to give rations. See how much feed the chickens eat each day and start cutting back till they need a little more food. A rule of thumb is 1/3lbs of food per chicken but some eat more than others so go until they eat everything and then judge based on that.
So in the evening they have eaten everything and are not hungry and there is no more food.

Who needs a feeder that requires you to be there morning and night? Get a properly made feeder with a counterweight and a spring loaded door. Once you have the feed kept away from the rats they will leave. Poison bait helps speed up the process but isn't required more than a week or so. Once the rats and mice are gone they won't be back unless there is scattered feed or an open feeder.

Back
Top Bottom