Keeping pet turkeys out of garden?

EricaRay

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Idaho
I have 6 pet/food turkeys. I love them to death but I've run into the problem of keeping them out of the garden. It's fenced in with a 5 foot high fence and they are still in there almost all day everyday. I thought they were just eating fallen Apples which didn't bother me. I've noticed them pecking veggies I didn't pick lately and for next year I'm worried about my berries! Any tips? So far searching I've only seen tips for wild turkeys. My turkeys are not scared of me so chasing them off won't work. If I had a dog it wouldn't be for scaring birds as I have over 50. They are used to the farm dogs as it is anyways. Would clipping their wings work? I don't really want to but if it's the only way, it's the only way. I'm worried they'd still be able to jump/ climb the wire if they really wanted too, I've seen chickens attempt this. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ima gonna follow this thread... DH gave a few tomatoes out of our garden to the free range birdies (assorted collection of Turks and chickens) and that's where they wander to first thing in the morning. They love that kind. (@onepuglife)

I have 6 pet/food turkeys. I love them to death but I've run into the problem of keeping them out of the garden. It's fenced in with a 5 foot high fence and they are still in there almost all day everyday. I thought they were just eating fallen Apples which didn't bother me. I've noticed them pecking veggies I didn't pick lately and for next year I'm worried about my berries! Any tips? So far searching I've only seen tips for wild turkeys. My turkeys are not scared of me so chasing them off won't work. If I had a dog it wouldn't be for scaring birds as I have over 50. They are used to the farm dogs as it is anyways. Would clipping their wings work? I don't really want to but if it's the only way, it's the only way. I'm worried they'd still be able to jump/ climb the wire if they really wanted too, I've seen chickens attempt this. Thanks in advance for any help!

I put up an 8' high fence around my garden to keep out the deer. It also works well for keeping my turkeys out of the garden. The most important part of the fence is do not put a bar, rail or anything that the turkeys can perch on at the top of the fence.

Turkeys can learn. Chasing them out of the garden every time they go there will eventually teach them that it is not a place for them. The problem is that you have to chase them out of there anytime that they go into the garden. Use a couple of long sticks, one in each hand, to help direct traffic.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom