Keeping Phoenix Long Tails Clean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PluckyClucker99, Mar 2, 2014.

1. PluckyClucker99

PluckyClucker99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I'm thinking about getting some Ornigadori Phoenix Long Tails, and was wondering if anyone wishes to share their tips/tricks for keeping their tails clean? Seems impossible to me..... [​IMG]

2. PluckyClucker99

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Anyone?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never had long tails myself, but I couldn't help dropping by their thread (in the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section). It seems most people just keep them on deep, clean bedding. I also noticed a few folks with roosters that had extremely long tails kept them in tall, narrow coops. In these coops, the birds sit on a roost pretty much all day to keep their tails in pristine condition. If you aren't planning on competing with your birds, the clean bedding should be fine. Or maybe a couple of those little coops can be used during showing season and the birds can be kept of bedding the rest of the year.

You want to keep their coop dry, tail feathers dragging thru mud aren't going to stay in great condition.

Good luck :)

4. PluckyClucker99

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! I also saw: some people roll them up like a hose? Does that work? (If I can, I'd love to show them in 4-H, but it might not be possible now that I think about it.... Handsome birds, though)

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would think rolling them up would break or kink the quills, but honestly I'm not sure.

6. PluckyClucker99

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    My conscience had two opinions: their tails were soft, and it wouldn't hurt them; or, yeah, the tails would break. I honestly don't know. Maybe I'll ask the breeder what he does when I pick up the chicks if I get some....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by