Keeping quail indoors

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jessyfromdenver, Sep 3, 2014.

1. jessyfromdenver

jessyfromdenver Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Thornton CO
    All of our male quail are crowers and the noise is starting to disturb neighbors. We really don't want to harvest all the boys. We're thinking about moving our whole hutch into our basement. Does anyone keep their quail inside? Anything special we should know about it? Thanks!

2. vtspilotcar

vtspilotcar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    i'll be moving mine inside for the winter so im not much help yet. lol. I have an unfinished basement room they will be going it with an exhaust fan thing to keep the smell down and fresh air coming in. I will be trying deep litter to see how it works, dont want to be cleaning it all the time.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    you can buy a product called Sweet PDZ it is used for horse stalls and for other animals too. It is super easy to use and some of it is even washable. Check for it at your local farm supply store, like Tractor Supply or the like. Good luck.

4. jessyfromdenver

jessyfromdenver Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Thornton CO
    What is the sweet pdz for?

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    you can either mix it with the wood shavings or place under the cage in the poop trap if you have one. It absorbs the odors.

6. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    The other option is using wire and trays under that can be scraped and emptied every couple of days.

7. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    They are much quieter if they each have 4-7 hens! Or are in the freezer. I have 6 males currently and hear maybe one or two crows a day, they are busy with the 33 hens in their individual coveys.

I love Sweet PDZ!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by