1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping quails with golden pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by De Wet, Mar 21, 2013.

1. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

I see lot of pics and video s where quails are been keep with golden pheasant is this possible without any problems

2. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I tried keeping Gambel quail with Golden and Amherst pheasants both. Each time they only lasted about 2 days. I can't speak for Bob Whites. They may be a litlle less agressive but the Gambels gave the pheasants fits. If you have Gambels I wouldn't recommend it.

3. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

and what about Japanese quails

4. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I'm not famaliar with Japanese quail. I only have Gambels and they are a little more aggresive than most other quail. I think your Goldens would be alright with the quail but I'm not sure if maybe the quail would harass your pheasants, especially during breeding season. If you try it I'd keep a close eye on them at first.

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Be careful when the mixing American Quail in the aviary, they can sometimes be aggressive towards other species. Most of the Coturnix genus should be ok if you have plenty of space.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by