1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping rabbits close to chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Animals970, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Animals970

Animals970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    I breed rabbits, and I have chickens so my question is...

I was going to use this spot of our property for my rabbits, but, now I'm going to use it for my chickens. Would it be ok if I put my rabbit hutches inside the chicken pen?, would any diseases be transmitted between the two? In other words, Would it be safe to keep chickens close to rabbits?

If it isn't, then I could put a fence around the rabbit hutches.

Thanks,
    Animals970

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wild rabbits are in the pen with my silkies. They stand right next to them. I hope there isn't a problem, for I wouldn't be able to get them to move out LOL.

I am waiting to see what people say....

3. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    I believe there's a person who has rabbit cages hanging on walls of building and the chickens have the bottom so I would think its ok. I don't have rabbits so I'm just going by what I've read. Hopefully more rabbit/chicken owners will chime in.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Check out Polyface Farms website. They allow the chickens to forage under the rabbit hutches.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by