Keeping Ravens Legal???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkieBantams, Oct 17, 2011.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'd like to ask if the keeping of ravens which are the larger cousins of crows is legal to be kept as pets.

2. Feral tabby

Feral tabby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Sacramento
    Hi there. Ravens are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (1918). The act makes it unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill or sell birds covered under the Act. Ravens are extremely social and intelligent birds and do poorly in captivity; please respect their freedom [​IMG]

3. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Quote:They're federally protected? I thought Ravens can be kept as exotic pets. Not fair since Europe allows keeping of such birds of prey like owls, hawks and ravens. [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    That's a shame. Ravens are so cool. The U.S is behind Europe in their thinking on lots of issues.

5. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Yea, like heroin use and money issues! Oh and gun control.

6. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If only US was allowed of the keeping of ravens because ravens would be really cool to keep as pets.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is possible to become a licensed falconer and keep certain birds of prey (need to be specifically licensed for the species, lots of restrictions on how they are to be kept and agree to a blanket allowance for inspection at any time without notice). Not sure whether ravens are or are not on the list of allowable falconryspecies.

Being a cool pet is not a valid reason for keeping an "exotic" animal that may not do well in captivity--especially when "owned" by someone without significant knowledge and care for the WILD animal. Note we are not talking about a domestic animal, but ratehr one that does not have thousands of years of domestication in its background.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    So, you can't keep a raven, but it has a foreign cousin you may be able to find closer to home. Mynah bird is an exotic pet bird that has the capacity for a huge vocabulary.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I'm sure it woud not be so cool to the raven. Wild creatures tend to be happier when they are free to do what nature tells them to do. I would love to have a monkey but I will not get one. It just wouldn't be right.

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I'm for not keeping wild animals for pets, but sometime (giving the right circumstances) it just happens.
    Then what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by