1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Roos Quiet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kitkat2498, Mar 4, 2013.

1. kitkat2498

kitkat2498 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    I have an age old problem. I would like to have a pet roo,mostly because they are just so gorgeous and partly because I would like to hatch eggs. I love my little bantams and would love to get a bantam roo. But,here's the problem. I do not live in an area that allows chickens. I am only able to keep chickens because my sisters are still in 4-H. None of the neighbors have complained about my girls,so we're okay in that part. Our neighbors actually have over 20 chickens,but when some of theirs grew up to be roosters,their neighbor called on them and they had to get rid of the roos. I really don't want that to happen to me.
    I've read through a lot of sites and I know there is no real way to de-crow a rooster. The only real way would be to muffle their crows, and I do not want my roo in a dark small box all day. I also read that a roo has to stretch his neck to crow;therefore,if he could not strecth his neck,he could not crow. Is this true? I have already begun to think up coop and run ideas if this proves to be true. I was thinking maybe a really low run,low enough that he couldn't crow? And then of course I would let him out into the yard during the weekdays when most people are at work and not home. I would never want to keep my roo unhappy. If anyone has tried this? Any feedback would be real helpful!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My rooster can crow while crouched on the roost, so he doesn't have to stand up to crow. I don't know if they really have to stretch their necks up to crow, but if mine can crow while crouched, then the pen would have to be one where they can't stand at all.

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    There is no way I know of to keep a rooster from crowing. If you want to hatch eggs there are plenty of people that sell fertile eggs!

4. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Oh..I would never do that to any animal. Hmm..maybe I could borrow roosters? And then return them?

5. Cotton42

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    You could, but the problem with that is it can take hens a while to warm up to a new roo and you'd want to keep him in isolation for 2 or more weeks to make sure he wasn't carrying any diseases before you introduced him into your flock.

6. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Darn..I suppose it's just not meant to be then. [​IMG] I don't suppose you know of a good place to get fertile eggs from?

7. Cotton42

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Sure, backyardchickens.com [​IMG], craigslist, farmers markets, some Trader Joe's, local farms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by