Keeping Roosters and Cockerels Together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buster098, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Buster098

Buster098 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Leeds, England
    Hi, I have a little dilemma here. I have a flock of chickens with one big rooster and at the beginning of this year I had 10 chicks from which 2 cockerels came. I took the newly hatched chicks home to look after them until they were old enough to live outdoors with the others and at about 8 weeks old I put them back in the field with the other chickens and the rooster. So far the 2 cockerels and the rooster, which is their father, have been ok and there has been no signs of aggression from any of them but ive been wondering whether it will be ok to keep them together forever or will they end up fighting when the cockerels get bigger and the rooster see's them as a threat maybe or is it most likely that they are used to each other enough that they will just live happily together?? They are now about 20 weeks old so have been together a while now.

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have enough hens for three roosters?

My only answer to your question has to be, it depends. Raised with an adult rooster already in the flock to teach them manners and authority, your cockerels could do fine. Or, your adult rooster could take an instant dislike to a young roo one day and try to kill him.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As they mature the cockerels may challenge the rooster. Chances are he will whup their butts and subordinate them in the flock; however, they will remain alert for any weakness hoping to depose him. Don't worry about if you have enough hens, and address any problems as/if they arise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by