Keeping roosters in San Antonio

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Brelynn4, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Brelynn4

Brelynn4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi, I live in San Antonio, Texas and I looked up laws on keeping roosters. So far I have found this and believe that it's okay to own a rooster. Does anyone else agree with me? If so can you find anything else that supports it? If not, can you find any proof against it so I can know for sure?

The city of San Antonio has examined its laws regarding the ownership of roosters, and has decided that the current law will stand, at least for now, 1200 WOAI news reports.
    Currently up to three 'domestic fowl,' including chickens and roosters, are allowed in residential neighborhoods

San Antonio, TX. Up to 5 of any kind of fowl, any gender, per household. Must keep in a pen, 20 feet from any other dwelling

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are good to go as long as you are within the space limitation.....

I'm illegal here in Phoenix... but I have nice neighbors.

3. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    You should probably talk with your neighbors first. It is always nice to speak with them beforehand so they aren't calling AC, sometimes there are other ordinances like noise nuisance laws that they can get you on. Good Luck. I had a couple roosters (accidently got them when they were young) and when they started crowing at 4am I put them in the garage at night until I could rehome them.

4. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:2nd this - You will very likely need to keep him either inside or in a roo box until a reasonable hour of the morning to avoid complaints.

5. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    Oops double post - delete pls

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  6. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Just wanted to know how this turned out.

7. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    From I have been reading the rules have not been updated for San Antonio, Tx city ordinances since 2010. It states if I have more than 3 chickens I need to get a permit. Fine, I don't mind getting the permit, but has anyone in San AntonioTx applied for this permit they speak of? Do I just go to a building and pay then that's the end of it? Or, do they come to my house have a look around and can tell me no. My neighbor is great he loves them, but I don't know about my other neighbor. Why a permit? I'm not a breeder, I don't sell anything chicken related, just a harmless hobbyist.
    My main concern is everything is fine right now, no knows I have chickens except one neighbor it's been two years I have had them, I would hate to try to be all legal and follow the law and it backfires and I have to give my chickens away.
    Oh, sorry mam this is wrong and this is wrong, we are going to shut you down blah blah blah........

If anyone has applied for this permit can you give me some advise? Thanks PeppermintHen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by