Keeping Roosters Together??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pixco, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pixco

Pixco Out Of The Brooder

Hello, I know it is unlikely to keep more than one rooster in with hens but am wondering if you can keep roosters together if they are separated from the hens. I am thinking of getting a few breeds each with a few hens and one rooster just to play a bit raising some in the spring. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a pen of just roosters.

I read that roosters will not fight as much when housed together if they cannot see the hens.

3. tnchickenman

tnchickenman Out Of The Brooder

That mostly depends on the breed. Some of the game breeds won't get along if there are hens or not. On the other hand, with some breeds several roosters can be put in with the hens. There will end up being a dominant rooster but if they have enough space they won't hurt each other and will provide some very funny entertainment. Make sure they are raised together or are introduced to each other with lots of moving around space, so the weaker rooster can get away.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I HAVE 8 OR 9 ROOSTERS RUNNING TOGETHER WITH HENS HARDLY ANY PROBLEMS, THE OCASIONAL FIGHT BUT FOR THE MOST PART ALL GET ALONG.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. Pixco

Pixco Out Of The Brooder

Thanks, this has all been helpful. I am leaning towards, Buff Orpingtons, Giant Blue Cochin, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Light Brahma, and Ameraucana for breeds at this point. From the reading I have done they are all fairly quiet breeds so hopefully will work fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by