Keeping roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShaggysGirl, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hi Guys,
    I am wanting to keep 5 roosters...Two are now 19 almost 20 weeks old. The other 3 are about 10 week old. Now my head roo has started not letting the 2nd in command out of the coop so the second in command has started picking on the 10 week old chicks. So I have been letting him out of the run and coop to free range. I know when the other 3 roos grow up they too will be kept in the coop for fear that number one roo will get them.

Is it feasible that I can keep the extra roos in a separate coop and let them all free range without to many problems?
    Yesterday all the chickens were out and the 2nd in command tried to "get" a hen twice and the number 1 ran him off but couldn't catch him. So I think if they are free to run about there might not be to much of a problem. They all including the second in command came in to roost at dusk.

We should have like 30 hens and I was hoping to breed certain ones next year that is why I want to try to keep a roo from each of my 5 breeds.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a second coop, or second area within the coop for them yes. Often roos will get along that way if the girls aren't available. When they're out freeranging, they may spat, so be prepared for them challenging the head roo... could be trouble, but if they respect the big boy and avoid him, it's possible it'll work. There's one way to find out!

Otherwise, each would need a seperate penned area. (really the best way but lots of work and expense too, most of us can't do it either.)

3. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I wish my #1 roo would chase off the #2 roo. #2 is rough with the ladies. All my roos get along great. I have 5 permanent and another 6 destined for the freezer. They all share the same coope and run. I just guess I'm lucky. I've heard that you can house roos together, but separate from the hens and they will get along because they have no hens to fight over, but I couldn't tell you from experience.

4. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:Thanks, I'm trying to talk DH into a third smaller coop in the back away from the main coops just big enough for maybe 4 or 5 roosters [​IMG] I have 7 week old polish in the small adjoining coop now so putting the roos in there is out.

5. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:I wish mine would get along good. Poor Prince can't get near a hen or leave the coop and go in the run with out Hawk chasing him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by