Dec 26, 2018
20191130_201120.jpg

This is a kennel that surrounds my chicken coop. It has chicken wire across the top and a tarp. The coop has windows that is hard even for me to open. It has a ramp and ramp door as well as a bigger door for me to get in. We do have 4 dogs as well but I'm afraid that it's not going to do much good at night. Although my birds are 3 years old, they're still my babies and I want to make sure they're safe from predators such as raccoons. Now, this coop area is in a small area in between the woods and our house. Some animal has been getting into their food on the porch during the night when I bring the food out. They have not yet touched my chickens but you can never be too sure they won't. I just need reassurance that my chickens will be fine during the night.

Well, chicken wire and a tarp won't hold a coon back for long, try getting some better protection on top, like welded fence or hardware cloth, heavily secured to fencing with strong wire and brace it underneath by running light chains across the space.
Also get some sturdy, somewhat complicated latches for the windows and doors, even ones you struggle with, coons are clever and determined.

Back
Top Bottom