1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping sidewalks clear with chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WYNot, Dec 8, 2013.

1. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    Ok. I'm pretty sure the chemical de-icers are not a good thing to use when you have chickens free ranging. [​IMG] However, is just plain rock salt fine? Or are they dumb enough to eat it and have issues? I know it isn't as effective as the other de-icers but is good enough, just don't want to use it if it will harm the chickens.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    A lot of times will just throw either shavings, sawdust or sand down, but that can get rather messy if by the house or porch. If we have to use something else, we usually try use something that is salt free if we can because of the animals and what salt does to the concrete/wood. ..something like these, the Safe Paws has a MSDS in the link http://www.safepaw.com/ the Morton one is easy to find around here and is just usually urea & propylene glycol http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-...ducts/101/morton-safe-t-pet-pet-care-ice-melt

3. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    Had thought about just using wood ash as we have a wood burner for our main heat but as you mentioned, it gets messy when tracked inside.

I've seen the Safe Paws and similar stuff but was hoping to not spend so much for so little. They are crazy expensive on a lb for lb basis. A small 1g jug of the stuff costs as much as or mores than a 40lb bag of salt or chemical. And you use just as much, so you end up spending lots more.

Guess I'll just stick to the shovel and Yak-Trax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by