Keeping silkies and large breeds together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenkeeper12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Ok so I have silkies with my other breeds( RIR, BR, BO, HOUDAN, AMER, RED CROSS). I see that they get picked on alot and I feel like since I have the chance to separate them should I. I really want to keep them together but realizing how much they get picked on I kinda think its torture. I really need response quick. Thanks so much.

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    One of my silkies is near the top of the pecking order and the other two are at the bottom. I have lots of space for them so they are able to each have thier "own space" so not too much picking on anyone going on. My group is 16 bantams mostly but also 4 large hens. I keep them together. If they were getting hurt I'd probably seperate them but I spred out the feeding areas and water so no one gets picked on.

Tammie

3. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I have two feeders and waterers at each end of the run so that they don't have to fight for it. I have a 16x8 run with a 5x6 under the coops so they have plenty of space to get away. Also what breeds of large hens do you have. My 2 RIR and Red Cross pick on them the most. Finally what color silkies do you have and do you have a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by