Keeping smell down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chotii, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only 3 hens, who are in an admittedly smallish area (4x8 run, plus 4x2 coop, for 40 square ft total - they do get out to free-range in the yard on nice afternoons). They have scratched their run right down to bare dirt, and kept digging. And of course they poop. As it is bare dirt, I have not raked or otherwise cleaned that. Now, the rain is beginning, the run is poopy mud, and the rain will continue through....next May or June.

My husband says "it stinks". My daughter says "it stinks". I have a poor sense of smell and have to trust them on this. All I smell is a not-unpleasant vegetation/maybe composty kind of odor.

Can any of you give suggestions on how to keep the smell down, in a rainy environment? I saw the post about having the run be sand, with a sifter, but while that works with dry sand, I'm not sure how well it works with sand that's rained on 9 months of the year.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    keep the bedding changed, and you could try small amounts of ag lime

3. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I think food grade DE is good for this. i am sure there is a thread somewhere.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yes DE or Lime would work. I think possibly lime out in the run and DE in the coop. Three chickens shouldn't be all that smelly [​IMG] I think it's all in their heads! LOL Here is a good site on DE and be sure if you get it to buy the right stuff.

BTW cheapest place I have found it was custommilling.com

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Buy some straw in put it in the run that is what I do and especally when it rains I hate the run to be a muddy mess. DE wont work outside in the rain it will wash away.
    Is your coop on the ground or does it have a floor?

6. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Lime, sand, and mulch. Sprinkle lime all over the run. Bring in a good layer of sand, then a thick layer of mulch over that. Your smell will be gone. Works for me.

7. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Depending on what you have for birds, your coop is like really small, especially if you have a large breed. Even more so if you have thier food and water, and nest boxes on the floor of the coop. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation, that'll help disperse the smell. Lime and DE. Really think about at least a 4x6 coop.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check out Pat's page on muddy runs. Keeping it dry would certainly help the situation. And I'd try the wet sand before I put straw or mulch in there. Wet mulch can mold or mildew which is not a good thing in the run.

Muddy Run
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

The coop is small. If you put a droppings board under the roost and scrape it clean daily for your compost heap, you will reduce the poop load your coop has to handle, which could help the smell in the coop. That wil not help a muddy run.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Your run is small maybe a roof over it to keep it dry. Good luck doesnt always rain in seattle

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Is the run covered? If not, covering it will help keep some of the moisture out.

I, too, would bring in a large load of pure sand. You might want to put pea gravel down first to help with drainage, then a bunch of sand overtop of that. Add DE several times a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by