Keeping Standards & Bantams in One Coop?

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
Hi-

I have a flock of about 35 birds, and inadvertantly got 2 that are bantams. Ive had them all together in the same coop for about 2 weeks now, and all seems to be well.

My only concern is I want to make sure that the little ones are getting adequate food and water. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can do this, hopefully without the standards tipping over the bantam feeders or eating all their feed? I do not have the means to make a separate coop for the bantys at this time.

Thanx!
Cindy

theron

Theron's Fowl Farm
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Midland, MI
My three standard Amerucanas, three silkies, and three bantam EE's get along very well in the same coop. Maybe try putting out another feeder and waterer in the coop and when they free range put a feeder and waterer outside. If they look like they are getting enough food, then they probably are fine. Good luck

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
13 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
A second feeder is always a good idea, especially when the birds are young and bullies might try to keep weaker, more submissive chicks away from the feeder. They can starve out a weaker member.
I have an accidental bantam in with my monter LF brahmas. She's one of my top hens and doesn't take snot from anybody.

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
I've been keeping large fowl and bantams together for eleven years now, and I have yet to have a problem.
smile.png
What the little ones lack in size, they often make up in energy and courage!

Jen4

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Munfordville, KY
No problem here either and I've had mine together for a year... BO's, RIR's, EE's, Bantams and guineas... I have 2 feeders and 3 waters, big run and I let them out to free range most days
smile.png

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
I picked up another feeder and waterer at Tractor Supply yesterday, so this weekend plan on doing some rearranging and remodeling of the coop as it will FINALLY be warmer this weekend!

So I guess I should keep one waterer/feeder hung lower for the bantys then....?

geebs

Lovin' the Lowriders!
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
My banties rule the coup.... I would be worried that the standards aren't getting their share
old.gif

Top Bottom