keeping stuff clean.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MCM37, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    what is the best thing to do or add to water and feed to help keep birds healthy. and what is the best way to disinfect ur equipment. also what is a good way to give vitamens and what kind. basiclly im looking to keep my flock healthy and want ot do it right. thanks.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Cleaning waterers daily would be a start [​IMG] to get them clean. You can purchase a bottle brush and scrub the cyanobacteria that accumulates in the bottles or waterbottles. I use dish soap for cleaning things, even the incubators, dish soap and a hose. As for vitamins. I do not suggest pumping the birds up with vitamins unless they are malnourished. The feed should have plenty of the necessities. Now, you can add oyster shell to the diet, that's a plus. It increases their calcium. To be honest, the feed is intended for the birds to free range and get their bugs and grubs as well as some extra calcium in the soil. As quail cannot do that, we need to supplement the calcium levels. Not many people agree with me on this, but I feel it's important.

3. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    thank you very much also i have heard of ulcerative enteritis and other diseases. if they get this and lets say thaey get well..(or anyother desease) are they still good to eat and are the eggs still ok.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If you treat them for the disease and they get better, I would say the eggs will be ok or the meat.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I put bleach or vinegar in my waterers and scrub them. I don't like to use bleach so I usually use vinegar.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Universal Santizer And Basic Cleaning Agent For Everything= 1 Cup Household Bleach/ Gallon Of Water... Immerse Items For At Least 15 Minutes Then Rinse And Allow To Air Dry. No Contagen Of Any Kind Will Survive It Also Cleans Your Water Fonts Nicely- No Scrubbing Needed [​IMG] And If Allowed To Air Dry Leaves No Residue Like Detergent Or Soap So It Is Harmless To Any Of Your Animals

7. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I use Oxine for disinfectant.[​IMG]

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MANY DO AND ITS READILY ACCEPTED PRATICE, BUT 2 QUICK POINTS,
    #1 RESIDUE, OXINE MAY BE ABSORBED INTO THE PLASTIC THAT MANY FEEDERS AND WATER FONTS ARE MADE OF... WILL IT HARM THE BIRDS?? I HAVE NO IDEA..

#2 OXINE IS EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO BLEACH AND NOT READILY AVAILABLE ON ANY GROCERY STORE SELF, WHEREAS I CAN STROLL INTO ANY DOLLAR GENERAL STORE ON THE PLANET AND BY HOUSEHOLD BLEACH BY THE CASE FOR LESS THAN 12 BUCKS.

I'M NOT KNOCKING OXINE OR ANYONES PRACTICES IN CLEANING, JUST SAYING IF YOU CLEAN ALOT OF ITEMS, OR ARE OBCESSIVE/COMPULSIVE ABOUT CLEANING... OR A "NATURAL" FREAK (SOME DONT OR WONT USE ANYTHING ARTIFICIAL IN THEIR BIRD'S CARE OR DIET...) BLEACH IS A VERY ATTRACTIVE ALTERNATIVE AND KILLS E V E R Y T H I N G [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I like bleach for such things, too.

K.I.S.S. rule...not calling anyone here stupid, of course. At least not on this thread... [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    With Me Its Not The Simple Part Is The Cheap Part! And The Easy Doesnt Hurt Either [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by