Keeping the babies warm

Dodgersmomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Ok so tomorrow my babies go to their new home. The lady who is buying them is meeting us at a place that is about 30 minutes from my home. Does anyone know of a good way to keep them warm going there? I'm not sure what she is doing when I give them to her. They are almost 2 weeks old if that helps at all.

I have bought birds 2 times now and went home both times in a box. Its Dark in the box and that quiets them. Make the transfer as quick as possible. I got home 30 minutes and turned the box sideways in the coop and opened it up. Kept them in the coop for over 3 weeks before letting them out the first time with hand treats so they stayed close to me.

Have some fun and enjoy

Steve

I live about 30 minutes from the post office. When my day old chicks arrived there, I went and turned up the heat in the car to max, and turned on the seat warmer on the passenger seat (I was by myself). The chicks were complaining loudly when I got the box in the post office. After about 5 minutes in the car they quieted down. I guess they felt the warmth coming in. I was profusely sweating by the time we got home. But the chicks were contented and quiet.

Don't worry so much. As long as the car is a comfortable temperature, it will be fine for 2 week old chicks! I deliver chicks often and I don't do anything special. Just put them in a box and off we go. When I pick chicks up from the post office I also don't worry about the drive home. They have been in the box for 24-36 hours or more, another 30 minutes isn't going to make a difference if they are chilly. I used to work for a feed store that often recieved chicks in February and March when it is 20-40 degrees outside here and there weren't too many losses.

You can tuck them in your shirt.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom