Keeping the Chicadees warm

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neely07, Apr 12, 2017.

1. neely07

neely07 New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Hickory Grove, SC
    Hey everyone!! This is my first time owning chickens. Just bought 3 Speckels Sussexes a couple days ago. Question is, is it okay to leave the heat lamp off during day time for a while when it is 80 degrees out and they are in a building with no air conditioner? I of course turn it on for them at night and so far they seem to be doing fine. Thanks for any help or responses.

2. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I'd certainly do that, I will under no circumstances give my chicks heat lamps, ever.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :welcome

They will be ok so long as the it is near 75 when you turn it off. Then back on before it cools off below 75. Each week they can handle cooler temps. Not a lot cooler though. By 6 weeks mine are off extra heat but then I have lots more and they can snuggle.

A caution about heat lamps....
    Make sure it is secure and is impossible to knock down and then secure it more. We read every year about fires caused by heat lamps.

That said I am using a heat lamp. Mine is secured to a chain and that to an eye bolt. The chain is doubled up and has carabiners in several places.

Be safe!

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    A brooder plate, or Mamma Heating Pad (search Mamma Heating Pad - pic heavy) are good alternatives to heat lamps. Back to your question: After the day 3 I usually turn off the heat source (a brooder plate in my case) during the day. After day 4 I begin to raise the heat source (in small increments) from the chicks and by day 10 they have no additional heat at any time. My day time temps are similar to yours, and night time temps are still mild (around 15c).

When experimenting, just observe the chicks on a night time. If they huddle together and chirp, then they are too cold. If they get as far away from the heat source as possible then they are too warm.

5. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

I use a heat lamp.After about....Lets say, 4-5 days I decrease it, slowly and even slower after 7-8 days, at 10-12 days I stop it all to gather.BUT I do leave a Nightlight in there for them, otherwise they freak.

6. neely07

neely07 New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Hickory Grove, SC
    Thanks everyone! This is a big help! I will definitely try your ideas! Again thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by