Keeping the chickens out of the patio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenSahib, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Hey All,

So I was wondering if anyone has found or made some type of temporary/removable fencing that they used to keep their chickens out of a certain area?

I was thinking of using netting and a bunch of wooden stakes, but I'm also looking at prices.

I also thought of buying stakes, and just using rope/string to make my own?

Anyone have any ideas?

PS. Chicken wire isn't an option, it's too hard to "roll" up and put away.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    plastic fencing and simple rebar stakes for a quick and dirty temporary fence works for me.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    No matter what I do, I can't seem to get them to stay away from the patio! If I put anything up they fly right over it. [​IMG]
    A low fence could work if you clip their wings, I have thought about that to ours.

You'd probably have to make any fence pretty high though, when they want to get somewhere they will try their utmost best. [​IMG]

4. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Ended up surrounding the patio with 4' high metal fencing, coated in a tasteful green plastic, to keep them off. All other attempts, barring electrocution, failed miserably - AND they've had their wings clipped.

5. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Quote:I didn't want to hear that [​IMG]

I've clipped their wings... But the RIRs can still get to the top of their run which is about 4ft high [​IMG] We'll try a sort of fence, hopefully I can try and keep the costs down.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ask yourself why chickens want to use patio. Does it provide cover from sun, wind or predators? If space is available, then see what can be done to make another location suitable to their needs.

7. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    My chickens like to use the patio because they can stare in at us through the arcadia door. They are working on their mind control skills....when they have them perfected they will be in the perfect spot to get treats on demand.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Mine also peep in but care taken not to feed them there. When cold winter temperatures hit, the birds go to patio on south side of house late in day to warm up. Pallets set up at another location with south facing panel provided the desired sun warmed site.

9. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    My wife made a temporary fence out of water from a garden hose and a spray nozzle, smartly aimed.

They don't come on the patio anymore.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There must be something terribly wrong with me. I just scrape and sweep my porch when it bothers me too much. And that isn't even once a day.... I scrape my shoes every single time I enter my house, though.

If I take the move to screen off the porch, then I won't have my friendly pullets, hens, roosters and geese visiting me there. Or just getting all cozy in a group. I think I'd miss that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by