Keeping the chicks cool

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Thought I'd share this. We've had a fan blowing on the chick's pen for about two weeks now, since the dog days of summer started early.
roll.png

Yesterday I froze two gallon jugs of water. I set them inside the pen, in line with where the fan is located (on the outside). The fan blowing on the ice has dropped the temp. in the pen by about 8 degrees. The chicks are thankful.

Ive done that in my bedroom, put a frozen water bottle in front of the fan.

I was just thinking yesterday about getting a fan for them as I dont have windows yet, thanks for sharing.

I read another post yesterday about someone buyinf a mister from Walmart and putting it in their run with chickies. Said it droped temp 30 degrees. I think I will try frozen bottles first then get a mister if the bottles don't help much.

I have silkies In CA-- sacramento and surrounding areas, when the heat comes your yard needs to have plenty of shaded areas for the animals to rest in.
I do the following ----heavily water the whole yard the nite before make sure to wash down your trees and bushes they like to be cool too , I will not mow till the heat is down to the 80s.-- I let the grass grow 1-2 feet tall- the chickens love this long grass!!!!.
I will let a hose open run- moving it around the yard during the day- the chicks love to pick off the spiders and others ------I :Dhook up an 8ft length of mister out in the open and turn it on when the heat hits 80 degrees and it will run till nite time. If at any time my babies start to pant they are brought inside our home and penned.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a great idea. I need to get a fan in the window for mine. In the meantime, it's about 90 here today with high himidity. I noticed the chicks were panting - and I notice a few walk over by the waterer and scratch out an area and lay down. When I looked - it's a wet area they keep throwing water out of their waterer onto. So I went and got an old (clean) kitty litter pan and filled it with pine shavings. Then I poured water over the top of the shavings to dampen them, and set the whole thing in the coop. When I left out of there, they were walking around outside of it and checking it out. I'm going to check in a minute and see if anyone gets in it.

Back
Top Bottom