Keeping The Coop Warm In The Winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmgirl02, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Hey, there!! :)
    I have been trying to find some
    succsessful ways in keeping the coop warm in the winter. For keeping the wind out I have always put cardboard duct taped over the windows and on ecspecially cold nights, putting duct tape strips over the vent holes. The cardboard over the windows has worked pretty well in keeping the wind out, but as for keeping the cold out, it does not work very well. Also, which bedding do you prefer for keeping chickens warm in the winter?

Happy New Year!! :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    What's your definition of "cold"? Our coop has cross ventilation above the chickens heads about a foot on all four sides. Last night it was 33 degrees here and they were fine. With chicken coops the thing you have to worry about more than heat/cold is air movement and moisture. With no air movement and moisture during cold weather your chickens can/will get frostbite. With a dry coop with a little air circulation they can keep themselves warm (those feathers are darn good at it) down below freezing. As far as bedding goes all of ours sit up on the roost which is a 2x4 laid so the 4" side is where they rest their cute little feet.

RichnSteph

3. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    We're headed to -10 tonight (not including the wind -30 with that)

They've been down to 4' already this winter. Tomorrow will only be 9'.

As long as they are out of the wind...they can go quite cold. If they are closed up too tightly, moisture builds up and is made much worse by warmer cold temps. Dry cold air is easier than damp air of the same temp.

4. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    If the birds haven't been artificially heated / lighted, they've likely acclimated to your weather pretty well. It seems easy for us as humans to go with the "I'm cold; you put on a coat" theory of temperature control. How cold is cold in your area?

I'd hesitate to seal up the coop too tightly for fear of the moisture buildup. Keeping the wind out makes great sense.

As far as bedding goes, are your birds sleeping on the floor? If they're on roosts as would be normal, the bedding may not make much difference. We have sand / PDZ on our coop floor for easy cleaning. Our girls sleep on the roosts, so we don't worry about what's on the floor.

1 person likes this.
  5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, dry is much more important than warm.

Good ventilation helps greatly to reduce the humidity.

6. "Cold" in my area is 32 to 18 degrees at night. I can keep the wind out, but I am just worried that it isn't warm enough for them inside their roost.

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    18* is downright balmy. Don't worry about it.

8. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Just keep out the breeze and open up those vents.With no ventilation there will be a build up of moisture in the coop which will lead to frostbite on combs and waddles a much bigger problem than cold.Chickens come with a down coat that is way better than any you or I can buy.I had a cochin bantam that hatched chicks last winter and even the baby's did just fine in single digit temps. Open the vents and don't worry most chickens seem to handle cold better than they do heat.

9. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    x2

10. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    three days ago our high was 16. I was out working in only jeans and a sweatshirt.

Sad how fast we get used to it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by