Keeping the door to coop closed during the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nharbison0722, Jul 7, 2016.

1. nharbison0722

nharbison0722 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Hi everyone! Hope all is well in BYC land! Just a quick question..... After I let my girls out of their coop and into the run in the am, they come running out into the run and do their thing, then usually end up back in the coop for part of the day. Should I be closing the coop door so that they can't go in there? I ask that because I know it's EXTREMELY HOT in the coop and they come out panting. I live in Texas so our temps are in the 100's right now. I would think it would be cooler for them in the run where there's shade and a breeze and they have their ice cold water and food.
    Thanks for the help![​IMG]

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens like to lie around in the afternoon but I have lots of shade trees. Do you have any shady areas for them to go to? If not maybe you could plants 3 or 4 post and tie up a tarp for shade. They probably know what's in their best interest as far as napping. The other thing I might expect is hawks flying overhead. I used to always find my chickens on there roost in the middle of the day when a hawk was flying over.

3. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

Their run is entirely shaded with live oak trees. I hope that they know what's in their best interest! I just hate to see them coming out of the coop panting!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Mine do EXACTLY THE SAME THING!! RUN IS SHADED, WITH A FAN AND MISTING SYSTEM (2 JETS)!! What i do is make certain the coop is supplied with cool water at all times (day and night) it gets up to 110 degrees outside where i live and i worry as well but so far its been fine. They go back and forth as they please and when they get too warm they go back to the run with the shade fan and mister. I think as long as coop has water it should be just fine. I have 11 girls. 10 are 11 weeks old and one is 5 years old.

5. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

Hey thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that mine aren't the only ones! I guess I'll start bringing cool water to the coop when I let them out in the am, as well as their water in the run! What kind of cooling/misting system do you have for them in the run? Mine would probably be scared of it! Lol! They give new meaning to the phrase, "you're such a chicken!" I have 6 girls outside that are about 7 weeks old and 4 inside in the brooder that are one week old!
    Thanks again!

6. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    I normaly just leave the door open. If you think they are getting too hot, you should make sure they have a clean and constant water source. One way to cool them down is to put a bowl with cold water in their coop, they like to drink it and dip their feet in it.

7. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

Thanks for the ideas.... I'm definitely going to start putting cold water in their coop all during the day. Normally I was just making sure that they had the coldest ice water in the run, but now they shall have it in both places.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by