Keeping the girls names straight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ssdyle, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ssdyle

ssdyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    mapleton utah
    We have 10 Jersey Giants.One Roo two grey hens and seven black hens.I can tell the roo and the greys apart for obvious reasons ,but the seven black hens all look identical to me. Any suggestions as to how to tell them apart, they just started laying this last month and I would be curious as to who's putting out the eggs.
    Can I get different colored bands some where or something simular?
    Thanks
    Sonny

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can order leg bands for chickens on line. Some people say zip ties work well, but mine pulled them off. Maybe I just needed fatter ones.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I cant tell my hens apart either. I bought a package of small zip ties from Tractor supply that came in different colors. I recorded in a notebook which hen had what color zip tie on which leg, left or right. I have 6 Buff O's and I put their zip ties on their left legs, and I have 5 RIR's and put their zip ties on the right leg. The colors were black, white, red, blue, and yellow. If you don't have enough colors you can do color combos...

4. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:I had to laugh. Been using zip ties to fix tarps around my runs and I have to use dikes to get them off once they're zipped. Either 1) you're not pulling the ties to the zip section, 2) you have VERY strong chickens or 3) I'm a real weenie cause I'm out zipped by chickens.

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

look for markings on feet, legs and beaks if you only have a few.. I only have 3.. Omlette is easy, shes the smallest and her markings are a bit more pale and her "cluck" is hoarse.. she sounds like a duck sometimes...Pokeyand Dottie are identical except for Dotties ear area (where there is a little bald spot at the ear) is larger than Pokeys.. In fact, ive taken to calling her "Dottie Big Ears".. but don't tell anybody [​IMG] . Dottie is also first, and last at the feeder and treat block... she likes her groceries. The colored ties are a good idea too.. I may end up doing that in the end because I have to stand there and study the two twins to determine whos who

6. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    OK, here's what you do. Go to this website:

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_88

Get yourself some of these superb legbands. They come in assorted colors. You can use the same color on both a roo and a hen, as long as you can tell the two birds apart at this point. To get the colors to go further, you can also put them on right leg or left leg.

I posted a chart on the inside of the coop with the bird's name and the color leg band that I gave to a particular bird. Works great for me, and I now know most of the birds by their behavior and don't even bother looking at their leg bands anymore.

7. CarolAnn

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I gave up the idea of naming and remembering the names of all my 27 chickens. I call my BR girls Sylvia, my BO girls Minnie or May, and my bossy Black SL's Pearl, after my grandma. I named my cochin roo Rusty but when my granddaughter came over to see him right after I got him she asked to see the Little Dude, so that's what we call him. I just don't see enough differences in my birds to call them by name. So it's less frustrating if I don't try individual names.

8. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I hear ya on that CarolAnn...I have about 75 and only the really special ones get names...it is also less traumatic when you find a dead black chicken if it doesnt have a name! Terri O

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have 13 bo girls and they all have the same name (comon girls ) except for one "DUFUS" she's always lost in her own little world so she's pretty easy to pick out.

10. CarolAnn

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Since the word "dufus" was mentioned I'll confess to putting red nail polish on one of the original Sylvia's nails so I could identify her over the other BR's. That lasted long enough for my granddaughters to notice it and, no doubt with help from the others, it was all picked off withing 24 hours. That was the defining moment when I gave up on individual names. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by