Keeping the rooster and hens together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bantamkelley, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Okay from what I've read you have to put the breeding pair in a seperate pen to breed them. If my goal is to get plenty of eggs and to raise chicks occasionally then do I ever need to seperate the rooster from the flock? I want some chicks do I need to seperate the breeding pair from the flock? And can I still eat the fertilized eggs or is that gross?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    You shouldn't need to separate the rooster.

If you want specific babies, you'll want to separate the breeding pair so you can identify the eggs to be hatched. If you don't care or have all the same type of chicken, you won't need to separate.

And you can absolutely eat the fertilized eggs! Make sure to collect & refrigerate every day.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A rooster will breed all the hens he's with. The only trick is incubating only the eggs you want, if you have different breeds of hens and only want to hatch specific breeds.

Fertile eggs taste like eggs. Keep that roo in with his girls. Everyone will be happier.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I agree with both posts. What breed or breeds do you have?

5. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Also, I think the ratio for fertile eggs is something like 1 rooster for up to 8 hens. And the only gross thing about eating fertile eggs is if they have started to be incubated. Although it's a delicasy in some places. yuck

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  6. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    I think I might get 4 sussex, 1 easter egger or ameraucana( or however you spell it ), 2 silkie hens, and 1 black cochin bantam. Can they breed together?

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Roo's instinct is to mate he will go crazy to mate. He's gonna make sure the whole flock is mated.

8. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yea, he'll breed them. But the fact that he is a bantam, that might not work out to well. I had a oegb and he would try to mate with my larger hens and never got the job done, he was just to small. I know that oegb are on the small side of the bantam list, but still, I wouldn't bet on a bantam rooster getting the job done, especially on those large breeds. So I would recommend you get a large sized rooster aswell, if you want fertile eggs.
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. Dublin21

Dublin21 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    The fertilized eggs are delicious but I know some of my family can't stand them until they've been stored away for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by