Keeping the smell down in a coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewFeathersInCo, Sep 10, 2016.

1. NewFeathersInCo

NewFeathersInCo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    Does anyone have any advice on keeping the smell down with the use of bedding. We have a 6×10 coop with 6 nesting boxes and the ceiling is 10 foot tall with two vents and a window. With a 30 x15 covered run outside. So plenty of space but it is attached to an office/gardening/supply room that I use and spend a lot of time in. So I am wanting to know what other ppl are doing to keep the daily smell of their chickens down in a safe way. I am currently using straw. Are cedar chips ok?

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    I don't think cedar is a good choice. Something about the oils. But regular pine chips do well for me. Certainly better than straw would. Once the poop dries it has almost no smell, pine chips dry it out quick.

I loathe straw for animal bedding of any sort.

3. nparks

nparks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2016
    I have read on here before that cedar is bad for chickens. I use pine shavings as bedding. I also use a poop board under the roost with a mixture of sand and Pdz which I scoop out every day to every other day. Pdz can also be spread throughout the run to help with the smell. It's used to absorb the ammonia smell. Other people on here love using sand as bedding. I have not tried that yet. You could do a search on sand bedding. I also try to turn over/ mix up the bedding every day.

4. NewFeathersInCo

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    I am trying to get rid of the straw. I don't like it as it is a mess to clean and I don't think it does any good to have. Pine is what I am leaning to and I will do some more research on the PDZ and see where I can find some. I do have a wood tray that we built for under the roosting bars. It might be perfect for there.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just add a fresh layer of straw whenever it starts to get a bit pungent. Also, you may need more ventilation.

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We used pine flakes on the coop floor. There is a poop board under the roost filled with PDZ which gets sifted out everyday. The PDZ helps keep the moisture and odor down. There is also plenty of ventilation.

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Plenty of space for how many birds?
    How many square feet of ventilation in the coop?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. NewFeathersInCo

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    6 birds but looking to get more and about 10 to 12 feet of ventilation. I just didn't know if there was a bedding that helps with the odor. I am wanting to get away from straw.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Straw is the pits, except as a small part of the litter. I use hay or straw on top of feed bags in the nest boxes, and bagged pine shavings on the floor, adding some as needed. I feed some scratch feed on the floor to encourage digging through the bedding, which also helps. Deep litter is the most user friendly method to manage the coop and run, IMO. People who use sand are 'scooping the poop' daily, and it's not going to happen here. Mary

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by