Keeping their water clean!?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Godiva, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering if any of you could share your methods of keeping your chickens water clean when they are confined. When they are cruising the land in their tractors there is very little problem with this but once there is hay or shavings around I can't keep their water clean for more than a few minutes. Before I know it they have kicked another heap of poopy hay and dirt into the waterer again!! [​IMG] I was thinking of building a 'table' of sorts with a hardware cloth top supported by some wood pieces to get it about a foot above the loose bedding... I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing how you do this... I was also wondering if any of you have a suspended waterer... I would like to put something like this in the chicken tractors as the challenge there is keeping the waterer level on the slopes... SO fill me in on all your brain storm ideas folks! I know that there have got to be some great ideas out there! Thanks.

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:There is your answer. I hang mine from chain with a clip to make for easy removal to clean and refill

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Like catnip, I also hang my waterer and also had to rig a shield to go around the top of it (much like one of those crazy wide collars for a dog that scratches it's ears) to keep the chickens from getting on the top of it and adding more garbage to the water. It seems to work pretty well unless they are in a major kicking mood and then the water is dirty regardless! Hanging does help some though...

4. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I also hang mine from a chain. I read somewhere to hang it approx the level of their backs. All of my chickens are around the same size, so "one size fits all."

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I raised mine up on an over turned saucer for a planter or on top of some pieces of 4x4's. My winter waterer is a heated birdbath that is attached to a 2x4 and a few inches above the floor of the run. They still get some mess in there, but it is better than when I just sat it on the floor.

6. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    i proped mine on 2 blocks. and keep it away from the roost. unless they like chocolate

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    So how do you hang it? The 3 gallon waterer I have is not supposed to be suspended by the handle on top. Do you make a little platform that you suspend.... what does yours look like? I think I am going to go for this idea though, will have to keep chickens of the same size in each section though.

8. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I just get an emply lick barrel (the smaller size) and turn it upside down. An old rim to a tire works well too.

9. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Ours sits atop an inverted flowerpot... maybe 10-12" high. For a while we had a plastic squirrel guard (from a bird feeder) on top, but now no one tries to roost there so we took that part off. Having it sitting this high keeps all but the most enthusiastically scratched-up shavings out, and the girls can reach the water just fine!

[​IMG]

10. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Seachick, I see you have the same feeder that I do... initially I didn't like it but it really cuts down a lot on the waste! Even my enthusiastic chickens can't mess with this one. I might try your flower pot idea for in the coop but I still think I need a suspended waterer for the tractors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by