keeping them cool in this heat!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well I am not sure where I saw the thread about keeping those chicks cool in the heat wave that has hit us all but I will post it here what I have done to get them some relief. I do have a fan in the coop but it was not nearly enough as it is still 100 in there now, so some one went to Walmart and got a mister for 12.00 and found it in the fan/airconditioner isle. So I went last night and hit every isle in the hardware, pluming and fan isle and then I asked and the women had no clue and looked at me like I was an idiot. ( I hate walmart and I was and employee for 2 years, guess I should say I hate the walmart in this town.) Well I ended up in the garden center and they still thought I was crazy and had no clue what it was I wanted. So I went across the street to Lowes, and walked to the hose isle and walaa---- they had boxes of them and they were 11.96 so I got two of them and put them up today. Needless to say the girls were scared to death of them for a while , but they are getting used to them and the temp is down 10 degrees already. I also got 2 roll up bamboo shades and hung them on the west side of the run to block the late afternoon sun thinking to myself this will never work but it really does block alot of the sun and gives quite a bit of shade. Then there is the watermelon they get and I got a BIG black rubber bowl and half fill it and take a solidly frozen gallon milk jug of water and set that in it about 12:00 pm or 1:00 so they have cold water to drink. I must say the shades give it a touch of class and the misters make it look rather inviting even to me. What we don't do for our girls huh? Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Good ideas, thanks!

I have 17 6-7 week old chicks that I'm about to put outside in their new coop, after they've been in my cool basement all their short lives. I have moved the brooder outside on occasion to help them get used to the heat, but it is plenty hot here in Georgia already, and I'm hoping the coop doesn't get too oppressive. The coop is in the shade and it has a big window (covered with chicken wire) along the top, but I may need to try the fan and/or mister.

3. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    My husband has a cow when I spill a little water in our coop. He's worried about rotting the wood. Would a mister not keep the wooden coops wet or am i thinking wrong? Wouldn't that wet the nests and hay and cause fungus and mold?

4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    The misters are hung on the outside fence on the runs and they mist the run and pen. [​IMG]

5. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    Cool!!! I 'm going to Walmart tomorrow or Lowes. My husband will be thrilled because we are leaving for 7 days for vacation. I have someone coming by to get eggs and feed and water them, but not as many times a day as we do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by