Keeping them cooled off HELP urgent

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by leokat75, May 15, 2008.

1. leokat75

leokat75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    So I have 4 very fat and happy Cornish crosses that are 12 weeks. I have really pushed the envelope on their age, but I did all the things neccesary to "slow them down" so to speak.

They really are active, no leg issues, still chase each other around etc.

My problem is they are scheduled at the processor this Saturday, two days from now.

Tomorrow is supposed to be freakishly hot, 95 degrees. I called the processor can't take them early or I would drop them off tonight.

I am going to be so bummed if I loose them to heat stroke after 12 weeks and one day shy of processing.

They are primarily in the shade for most the day. I am planning to put out a few extra water buckets with ice and possibly plug in a fan to blow on them.

Any other idea to get them through a 24 hour heat wave?

We have had such strange weather. We had freezes here just three weeks ago, now we are getting weather we don't normally see until July.

Thanks
    Kat

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I keep a box fan hanging in the coop for my layers plus I freeze empty milk jugs which are filled with water and put that into their waterers to melt. Lots of ventilation?

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm sorry. I've lost animals the day before processing... including a pig once. Talk about a loss. [​IMG]

4. leokat75

leokat75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Well they all made it through the heat wave. I basically set up a swamp cooler type deal. A deep tray of ice with fan blowing across it.

They were HUGE though, the processor kinda laughed at me when I dropped them off because I had two HUGE boxes with only two birds in each. All the other birds there were crammed in these pens. He said "There is really only 4?" I said "Yes, but they are big".

When I came to pick them up I said "I am here to pick up my chickens" The lady asked "how many did you drop off?:. "Just 4". She shouted to the guy in the back "Where did you put those 4 turkeys?".

All in all I am ready to do it again.
    Kat

5. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    [​IMG] turkeys!

i ended up with a pair of cornish X from a swap i was at couple weeks ago. the guy didn't want to take them home and they were half dead from the heat anyway, so i said, sure, i'll see if i can revive them. mind you, these guys are about 10-12 pounds each.

i got them in a cool place under a shade tree with water next to them. the female was up and about in about an hour but the male, his legs were sprawled and his eyes all bulged out scared. it took him overnight to recover, but he did. the two now walk around like giant overweight babies taking careful steps searching for food and water. i don't think i'll be processing them. i do have to be careful where they sit and lay for the night since i've had them accidentally sit on other birds and the birds can't get out from under them.

6. jamesrm

jamesrm Featherbrained, at best!

Mar 26, 2008
    White House, TN
    Just so you know, my first batch of crosses mostly died to the heat. The others lived for a few months later, but they eventually died. My theory is that they simply out grow their bone structure. Those birds are designed for only one thing - to be processed relatively young. I would recommend processing them and having some really good chicken now, instead of letting them die from getting so huge later down the road.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by