Keeping Them In? (Master Escapees)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
We currently in the process of putting up netting to keep hawks from taking any more of our chickens but our chickens keep finding a way to escape. They're unable to fly over the electric fencing and there's no small spaces for them to squeeze out from. The hen coop and chick coop are even far away from the fencing for them to use those to fly over.
I can't lock them up in the coop yard as they will attack the younger hens that free range with them. They haven't gotten use to them yet but will allow them to sleep in the coop at night.

I'm asleep around the time they wake up and my dad leaves at 5am for work during the weekdays. Weekends everyone is asleep when the chickens wake up in the morning.
Nobody is awake at that time to see where they escape.

How do I keep them inside their yard?
How do I figure out where they're escaping?

We currently in the process of putting up netting to keep hawks from taking any more of our chickens but our chickens keep finding a way to escape. They're unable to fly over the electric fencing and there's no small spaces for them to squeeze out from. The hen coop and chick coop are even far away from the fencing for them to use those to fly over.
I can't lock them up in the coop yard as they will attack the younger hens that free range with them. They haven't gotten use to them yet but will allow them to sleep in the coop at night.

I'm asleep around the time they wake up and my dad leaves at 5am for work during the weekdays. Weekends everyone is asleep when the chickens wake up in the morning.
Nobody is awake at that time to see where they escape.

How do I keep them inside their yard?
How do I figure out where they're escaping?
How high is your fence KikiDeAnime?
What breed are your chickens?
Chickens can't teleport yet....so it's fly over, or go through.
I have Bantams here that will reach three metres from a jump start, just to give you an idea.

How high is your fence KikiDeAnime?
What breed are your chickens?
Chickens can't teleport yet....so it's fly over, or go through.
I have Bantams here that will reach three metres from a jump start, just to give you an idea.
We have 3 BLR Wyandottes, 2 Black & 2 Red Sex Links, 1 Silkie mix, 1 Polish, and 3 Cochin Bantams(1 Frizzle roo). The 3 cochin bantams are fine to escape as they go back in as quickly as they escape and the 2 pullets haven't started laying yet so I'm not too worried about any eggs. The fence is 4 feet I believe? I know it goes just under my chest when I'm standing in front of it and I'm 5'2 1/2". I watched the chickens yesterday evening and watched as they paced back and forth trying to figure out how to get out. I even shook food to see who tries to escape to get to it and only the cochin bantams squeezed through the fencing while the others freaked out about not getting food.

We have 3 BLR Wyandottes, 2 Black & 2 Red Sex Links, 1 Silkie mix, 1 Polish, and 3 Cochin Bantams(1 Frizzle roo). The 3 cochin bantams are fine to escape as they go back in as quickly as they escape and the 2 pullets haven't started laying yet so I'm not too worried about any eggs. The fence is 4 feet I believe? I know it goes just under my chest when I'm standing in front of it and I'm 5'2 1/2". I watched the chickens yesterday evening and watched as they paced back and forth trying to figure out how to get out. I even shook food to see who tries to escape to get to it and only the cochin bantams squeezed through the fencing while the others freaked out about not getting food.
You now know you've got a gap big enough for a small chicken to get through so you can fix that...
I'm guessing, but with a fence that high 4' I think they're flying over.
You write you're planning to net the top (good idea if you've got hawks) and that should stop those that fly out.
Chickens are strange creatures. There is 1 metre (approx 3') fence around the vegetable garden here and the chickens have no problem flying over it to get in. When it comes to getting out, they walk up and down it looking for a gap. It's only when I go in and put them under pressure they think to fly.

You now know you've got a gap big enough for a small chicken to get through so you can fix that...
I'm guessing, but with a fence that high 4' I think they're flying over.
You write you're planning to net the top (good idea if you've got hawks) and that should stop those that fly out.
Chickens are strange creatures. There is 1 metre (approx 3') fence around the vegetable garden here and the chickens have no problem flying over it to get in. When it comes to getting out, they walk up and down it looking for a gap. It's only when I go in and put them under pressure they think to fly.

I'm not too worried about small chickens getting out as I constantly go out for most of the day since I don't have a job and still live with my parents so I have a lot of free time to spend with my chickens for most of the day. Even if some get out, they get put back in and sometimes I even sit in their yard under the 2 apple trees with them.

Back
Top Bottom