Keeping Them Out Of The Mulch Beds??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backwoodbrigade, Aug 22, 2011.

1. backwoodbrigade

backwoodbrigade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    So i started my flock this year, 13 hens and a rooster.. I couldn't be more happy. .they're SOOO happy, healthy, and SOOO SPOILED!!! anyway. .they free range around the yard, (over an acre) and i just built/made flower beds all around the house. . i put down mulch and it looks great. .HOWEVER, they get in the beds and scratch the hell out of them, throwing the mulch all into the grass. .how do i keep them out of the mulch beds? any advice??

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Fence the beds. [​IMG]

I haven't found any other way. If they can get to the mulch they will happily scratch it all around. It's just what they do. They'll do the same thing to seedlings. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Good luck finding a way to keep them out!! I've haven't found a way yet except keeping them in there run!!

4. backwoodbrigade

backwoodbrigade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    are there any flowers they don't like? i've heard deer don't like marigolds . . any thoughts?

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    They'll scratch up pretty much anything. It's the dirt and dust bathing that interests them. Mine don't really eat anything. They just dig it up.

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Good luck! There's no way I can fence my rose bed - and they LOVE scratching around and dustbathing in the mulch and dirt. So I just sweep/rake it all back when they're finished - and hope they don't kill the rose bushes. One benefit - no problems with insects on the roses.

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They will eat marigolds and it really makes the egg yokes pretty... Seriously mulch is big time fun to scratch for bugs in and they will even fly over a low fence to get to it.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Chicken wire fence or nothing. Our chickens LOVE mulch, and why not? When they scratch it, they stir up tons of crickets, spiders, and worms. They don't care how it looks, so to them it's just a buffet. XD

If we stand over them and shoosh them away, they stay out of it (reluctantly), but otherwise they have no boundaries when it comes to landscaping. [​IMG]

9. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    You might not be successful in keeping them out of your mulched beds, but maybe distract them to a different area. Perhaps a large compost pile near a sand bath and some shady shrubbery with mulch?

10. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Use landscape fabric covered with large diameter gravel instead of mulch. I prefer the look of mulch actually, but I didn't want fencing, so I resorted to the gravel. It comes in many colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by