Keeping them Warm

Clueless!

Hatching
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Hi, this may be a stupid question, but as my name says I'm Clueless!
Am getting 7 babies today, minus their mum. Thought their mum was coming too, and she would keep them warm, but not so!
So my question is this - how do I keep them warm enough, most preferably with out needing a light??

When we got ours (first batch, heat lamp wasn't working) we borrowed a lamp w/ a clamp and covered them w/ a blanket... but that wasn't warm enough and we had to replace the heat lamp. My two cents is it would be much easier, and less brain damage, just to get a lamp. There are probably more ideas out there, but I'm stumped.
hu.gif

Well, they are coming from my mum and she has offered us their mother too, but then thought the mother might be protective of her babies around my small (and very curios!!) childen, but after talking to the lady at the petshop/animal food store place, the best thing to do would be to bring her too and keep the chickies warm....
So another question about mother hens.....is she likely to attack my kids if she thinks they are going to hurt her chickies??

Clueless! :

Well, they are coming from my mum and she has offered us their mother too, but then thought the mother might be protective of her babies around my small (and very curios!!) childen, but after talking to the lady at the petshop/animal food store place, the best thing to do would be to bring her too and keep the chickies warm....
So another question about mother hens.....is she likely to attack my kids if she thinks they are going to hurt her chickies??

She might peck at them but usually not real hard, and usually she will growl first. Unlikely she will really attack in the sense a rooster might. I'm glad you are getting the hen as well. Heat problem solved, and this is the natural way to raise baby chicks; she will teach them what to eat and watch over them if she is a good Mama. It should also be a great learning experience for your kids. Hens vary in how accepting they are of people handling their babies; I was never challenged by my one Mama.

Good luck!​

Back
Top Bottom