I've got one of those 5 gal red-and-white plastic water containers and that sucker is the hardest thing to get clean! It's got so many nooks and crannies to it that I cannot get the dang algae out of. I scrub and scrub, but the next day it is already going green again. This is the only waterer that I have this problem with. The others (all 1 or 3 gal plastic jobs) clean up easily. Naturally, the big 5 gal one was a "surprise" from my SO so I cannot just chuck it. What I'm wondering is if (1) would a bit of bleach in the water kill the algae and (2) would the bleach hurt the chickens? I'm thinking 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon here diluted in 5 gals of water. Has anybody done this? Or does anybody know a better way to keep from growing all that algae?