Keeping things clean

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I've got one of those 5 gal red-and-white plastic water containers and that sucker is the hardest thing to get clean! It's got so many nooks and crannies to it that I cannot get the dang algae out of. I scrub and scrub, but the next day it is already going green again. This is the only waterer that I have this problem with. The others (all 1 or 3 gal plastic jobs) clean up easily. Naturally, the big 5 gal one was a "surprise" from my SO so I cannot just chuck it.

What I'm wondering is if (1) would a bit of bleach in the water kill the algae and (2) would the bleach hurt the chickens? I'm thinking 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon here diluted in 5 gals of water.

Has anybody done this? Or does anybody know a better way to keep from growing all that algae?

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do you mean putting bleach in the chickens drinking water? If so, dont do that. That would harm the chickens.

You can put some strong bleach solution 50-50 bleach water into the waterer and let it sit overnight, it will kill the algae.

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Bleach is a common disinfectant for drinking water when used in small amounts--2 drops per quart is the usual amount given. But that's for emergency use, like after a hurricane (I learned about it after hurricane Charley in fact), but I don't know about daily usage. Is there anything else I could do? A 50-50 wash of bleach water would create a disposal issue. That much bleach couldn't just be poured on the ground. I don't have access to any plumbing system out there at the barn.

What else could I do?

What I'd really like to do is pitch the darn thing, but it was a gift and I really don't want to hurt someone's feelings over it. Dang.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  4. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

No, bleach wouldnt be good for your chickens. Think about that once, if its used to kill something (algae) what do you think thats going to do to the chickens?

How do you clean it? You could try using a new tolite bowl brush.

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have the same waterer, well we used to, now we have an automatic waterer, love it. Anyway, I would clean it out with some bleach and a rag. It cleaned up very easily. I would make sure to wash it out very good before giving it back to them. Also, try keeping it out of direct sunlight, that might help.

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    oops. double post

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Also, try keeping it out of direct sunlight, that might help.

Good point! It's the only one of the waterers that sits out in the sun all the time and it's the only one that grows algae. I'd never considered that. And it would not be a big deal to move it into the shade.

I'm gonna try that. Thanks everybody.

[​IMG]

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use my 5 gal poultry waterer indoors out of sunlight to water a feral cat colony- had the same problem and it cleaned up with Palmolive dish liquid (no odor brand). I agree, the smaller waterers are more practical in the coop and less likely to cause a major spill.[​IMG]

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We have well water. And bleach goes into it. And we drink it.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try a capful of applecider vinegar to help with algae.

Get it scubbed up real well the first time and see if this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by